From homemade cards to romantic dinners, real moms share how and where they spilled the beans about being pregnant…

My husband was sleeping when I took the test. He took me to the store the night before to get the test, but I couldn't wait for him to wake up. As soon as I got the positive [result], I started crying with excitement and went to wake him up. He said, "Oh, I'm sorry we'll have to try again." I handed him the test and he asked why I was crying since this was exactly what we had wanted for so long. We spent the rest of the day looking at baby stuff and calling family!

I took him out to lunch at one of his favorite restaurants to celebrate our 22-month anniversary one day late. I gave him a card that said "Congratulations" on the front of it because he'd survived 22 wonderful months being married to me! He opened and read it. It said, "Enjoy this moment, because you made it happen." Which to me is hilarious... and SO appropriate! Then, I signed it Sarah and Baby. He was shocked and surprised.

We just went to the same restaurant yesterday to celebrate that we found out we were having a girl!

I took a test on Christmas Eve, but the second line was very faint and I was unsure of my results. So, on the way home from our Christmas party at my grandma's, we stopped and picked up another test at CVS. This time we bought the digital kind that either reads "pregnant" or "not pregnant." I made myself wait – I woke up super early, around 4 a.m. and took the test. I was soooo excited to see the word "pregnant" spelled out and got to wake my husband up to "Merry Christmas Daddy."

A few years ago, I had purchased sweatshirts for my husband's family, from a company that made "Your Name Here" University t-shirts in large runs. In other words, they were going to print up a bunch of shirts for all the Smith's and all the Jones' that responded to the flyer. They were a big Christmas hit. Well, the postcard came around again, and I ordered a onesie with our potential child's surname and waited. When the time was right, and I had confirmed that I was pregnant, I wrapped it up and gave it to him in a gift bag.

The original reaction was "Oh, another shirt like the one you got me before..." until he unfolded the whole thing. It took a moment for him to process the tiny size, but eventually he was very, very happy that we would be dressing our own little person in it someday!

I was 34 and it was our first month trying, so we didn't think there was a chance in hell of us getting pregnant. I was supposed to have an MRI and they had recommended that I take a pregnancy test, just in case. I didn't. I didn't think there was any way I could be pregnant.

I drove over an hour to get to the MRI testing facility, battling terrible morning traffic. I arrived to find out I had the date wrong and had to come back the next day. I begged. I pleaded. They apologized but told me there was no room for me to have the test. I was furious, of course.

The next morning came and I decided I might as well take the pregnancy test, just to "cross all the t's and dot all the i's". I took the test while my husband took the dog out. I took it twice. I took it twice because the first one came out with a line just the lightest shade of pink. As did the second one, only this time it was a "plus" sign that was the lightest shade of pink.

My husband came back in. I looked at him and said, "Well, I'm not NOT pregnant," and showed him the tests.

We were both in complete shock. I traded in my MRI for a visit to my OB and, sure enough, I was 12 days pregnant.

My husband happened to be home the morning that I took the pregnancy test. We had been trying to conceive for almost a year and had just had "the conversation" about stopping our attempts and enjoying our two young sons...we are both in our 40's and were advised by a physician that our fertility had likely dried up. So, I took the pregnancy test with the intent of just getting it out of the house and being done with ovulation predictor kits and pregnancy tests for good. When the test showed positive I brought it to my husband and asked how many lines he saw on the stick. He replied "two" and started to get a smile on his face because he thought the "stick" was an ovulation predictor test and that it was time to knock knees before the boys woke up (apparently forgetting our previous conversation about our likely fertility status). I gently asked him to examine the stick and tell me what kind of test it was. His face said it all when he finally realized we were pregnant. He didn't seem to mind that the knee knocking would have to wait for another time.

I picked up a tiny little card with baby feet on it… and wrote, "Ready or Not DADDY - here I come!" When my husband came home from work, I gave him the little card and he just stared at it for a couple of seconds, stared at me, back at the card, back at me, and then said "Serious?" I smiled and started to tear up, he got this huge goofy smile and hugged me for nearly 5 minutes.